Monday 6 May 2019

126: Move Upstairs, by the Como Mamas

The Como Mamas (USA)
Move Upstairs (2017)
11 tracks, 39 minutes
BandcampSpotifyiTunes

I have become seriously obsessed with the Como Mamas over the last couple of years, and they’re just my favourite artists of the moment. So, of course, I’ve already written about them, when I had the massive honour last summer to be able to sit down with them before their first – and so far only! – concert in England – you can read that article on my other blog, and I’ll try not to repeat myself too much.

The Como Mamas are Della Daniels, Angelia Taylor and Ester Mae Wilbourn. They’re from the small town of Como, Mississippi, and they sing gospel music, and they sing it hard. All of the albums on this blog are Good, but this one is SO GOOD YOU GUYS. I mean seriously. Right from the opening of the very first track, my heart starts beating extra hard and I just want to punch the air – this music really gets me somewhere inside. The lyrics and the harmonies are gospel, but everything else is raw blues.

The Mama’s previous recordings had all been a capella – they’re really interesting too, and definitely worth checking out: that’s the album Get an Understanding from 2013 as well as a handful of songs on the 2008 compilation Como Now: The Voices of Panola Co, Mississippi – but for Move Upstairs, Daptone Records paired them with their house band of guitar, organ, bass and drums, and it takes the music to the next level. The band is actually really understated, which is how it should be. There’s no solos, and they mostly chug along in the background, and this allows the Mamas to bring their full power to the fore without leaving empty space behind them when they do so.

Each of their three voices are very different from each other in terms of timbre and range, and so they each bring something else to the sound, making it a well-balanced meal. That said, I am absolutely in love with Angelia Taylor’s voice. Hers is a low voice that comes roaring from deep in her chest. The amount of emotion she puts into the notes as she bends, growls or shouts them, simply blows me away. Every one of the songs on the album is catchy and touching, but the songs that Angelia leads – ‘Move Upstairs’ and ‘He’s Mine’ – take me to another place.

I’m not religious, but the sheer power of these songs and this music and the reaction that they create in me does make me ponder on the essence of the divine – whether that’s from a higher power or just some exactly-measured dose of brain chemicals. Whatever is happening, it feels great. The Como Mamas are really, really special. The concert that I saw was one of the best I’ve ever been to. If you get the chance to see them perform, jump on it – you owe it to your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment