Sunday 2 June 2019

153: Head Hunters, by Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock (USA)
Head Hunters (1973)
4 tracks, 42 minutes
SpotifyiTunes

I have a great memory of this album that involves three of my favourite things: good music, good food and festivals. It was late-night at Larmer Tree Festival, after all the live music had ended and I wasn’t for turning in just yet. I bumbled past a really nice food concession called Pizza Tabun – they do lovely handmade pizza and they have a little tent with small seats and benches dotted around to eat in – and heard the recognisably funky opening bassline to Herbie Hancock’s ‘Chameleon’, the opening track to Head Hunters. It’s an absolutely great tune, so I stopped and stood outside for a little while to appreciate it. Then, remembering the track is over 15 minutes long, I ducked inside and found myself a free seat. After a little while longer, I felt a bit bad for taking up space, so I bought a drink to give me the excuse and enjoyed the rest of the track. It was super chilled, I loved it. Then the track drew to an end, and something wonderful happened: ‘Watermelon Man’, the second track of Head Hunters started up. Well, now we’re having a full-on listening session. I couldn’t stay and listen to a full album with just a cup of lemonade, so I thought ‘fuck it’ and went ahead and got myself a pizza too. I’d already had my tea (evening meal for you non-Northerners), but a place with such good taste as to play a legendarily groovy album like Head Hunters start-to-finish is one that deserves my custom. And that’s what they did. What a brilliant way to spend a summer’s night.

No comments:

Post a Comment