Sunday 6 January 2019

006: Dr John's Gumbo, by Dr John

Dr John (USA)
Dr John’s Gumbo (1972)
12 tracks, 40 minutes
Spotify · iTunes

One of the things that gave me the idea to start this project was that Facebook tag game that was going around last year. The idea was to post the covers of ten all-time favourite albums over ten days; being me, I had to write about each of them, I enjoyed it and I thought I’d see if I could do that for longer. Of course all of those albums will be featured on this blog, and the first one is here. Here’s what I said last year about Dr John’s Gumbo:

‘After making a name for himself as a psychedelic high priest of voodoo, he busts out this album of New Orleans R’n’B classics. The albums I’ve chosen barely have a dud track between them, and this is not an exception. You can pick any piece on this album and rock. The Good Doctor also shows off just how great a piano player he is with some stunning solos. This is one of the many albums that I got used to seeing sitting in my dad’s collection for years before actually sticking it on and being blown away. Dr John is the #1 artist that I have never managed to see live – I hope it doesn’t stay that way for too long.’

2019 update: I've still not seen Dr John live 😞

No comments:

Post a Comment