Monday 22 April 2019

112: Violins from the Andes, by Familia Pillco

Familia Pillco (Peru)
Violins from the Andes (2001)
15 tracks, 74 minutes
Spotify

I’ve been really excited for this album to come up, and to tell you all about it. It’s a truly wonderful album that is nowhere near as well-known as it should be. In fact, it’s basically fallen into obscurity.

I came across this album in the basement of a previous workplace, literally covered in dust, among hundreds of similarly forgotten discs received in years past. I obviously couldn’t take all of them, so I just grabbed some that I thought looked interesting. I don’t really know why I picked up Violins from the Andes, and I definitely didn’t expect it to sound like this. Right from the first track, I was hooked.

That opening piece, ‘Pasacalle’, is so gorgeous. It’s straight in with two violins playing such fragile harmonies and they are absolutely gut-wrenching. They play in unison sometimes, break apart and come back together, or maybe they are playing similar melodies in different registers, but each dancing and twirling around the tune in their own way. The constant switching from major to minor keys gives it all a real melancholy feel. When I listen to this track, it makes me feel so sad, and I love that instrumental music can play with my emotions that way. The rest of the album carries on in the same vein.

But what is it? I don’t really know that much about it, and because this album is quite obscure now, it’s hard to come across any solid info on the internet either. But I’ll give it a shot…

Familia Pillco, on this album at least, are Reynaldo and Enrique Pillco, a father and son from Cusco, the capital of Peru. Both violinists, their music is a fascinating combination of the traditional music of the Incas and other native Andean cultures (think quena flutes and panpipes) adapted to fit within the classical dance styles brought to the region by European colonisers. The rhythms and the forms are those of waltzes, pasacalles and the like, and the tunes are yaravis and huaynos. Even though these are dances, the pieces range from slow to moderate; there’s nothing super-fast on the album, and everything feels very controlled and stately.

As well as the two violins, there’s also usually a guitar or harp solidifying the rhythms and chords in the background, and they also get their moments to shine, which is pleasant. There are times when the violins play on their own, though, such as the piece ‘Uskapauqar’, which take the emotional intensity to the next level. Listen to that track in the right frame of mind and you’ll be in absolute floods.

I really, really wish this music was better known. It is outstanding and touches me right to the heart; surely it must touch others in the same way? Please let me know I’m not alone! Regardless, it seems like such a shame that these musicians and their unique style should not gain wider recognition. I can’t find any other recordings of Familia Pillco or any other musicians that even approach them in terms of style or accomplishment. If you can help, please do get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment